Webinar Fee $149
December 10, 2020
Join us via Live Webinar
Live Online CME | December 10, 2020
Our live online pharmacology CME is perfect for medical professionals seeking the latest in drug therapy. Join Family Physicians, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants who have been benefiting from our exceptional pharmacology CME for over 30 years. Our courses feature academic experts with proven clinical skills.
Opioids, Cannabinoids and Gabapentenoids: Defining the Best Pharmacological Practice Model for the Treatment will be streamed live via webinar, offering you access to CE/CME in the location of your choosing.
This webinar provides 3 contact hours (0.3 CEU) of live ACPE and pharmacology CE/ CME credit.
Request a Brochure
Webinar Registration Fee: $149
Webinar registration fee includes workshop attendance, handouts and documentation of continuing education credit*.
University Learning Systems is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. These programs are accredited for pharmacists.
- 3 Contact Hours ACPE UAN 0741-0000-20-020-L08-P, Activity: Knowledge
Opioids, Cannabinoids and Gabapentenoids: Defining the Best Pharmacological Practice Model for the Treatment
3 hours | Thursday, 12/10/2020
- 5:00 PM – 8:15 PM ET
- 4:00 PM – 7:15 PM CT
- 3:00 PM – 6:15 PM MT
- 2:00 PM – 5:15 PM PT
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the burden of opioid misuse and abuse on the individual and society.
- Differentiate addiction, physical dependency, tolerance and hyperalgesia.
- Describe the similarities and differences in the mechanism of action for opioids, cannabinoids and gabapentenoids.
- Compare and contrast the current best practice model for the use of opioids, cannabinoids and gabapentenoids in: a) acute postoperative pain; b) chronic low back pain; c) neuropathic pain; d) fibromyalgia; e) end-of-life pain crisis.
- Describe how to calculate morphine-equivalent dosages (MED).
- Demonstrate the value of morphine-equivalent dosages (MED) in determining the benefit and safety of opioids in the treatment of pain.
- Identify typical characteristics of patients who would be identified as “high risk” , “moderate risk” and “low risk” for misusing, abusing or diverting opioids.
- Describe the best practice model for properly monitoring patients on opioids.
- Describe how a provider should counsel patients who are started on opioids to minimize the risks of adverse reactions, over-dosage and inappropriate compliance.
- Identify examples of opioids products that have “abuse-deterrent” technology and be able to recommend to prescribers how these products could be utilized to improve patient and community safety.
- Compare and contrast the most common cannabinoids found in marijuana with regards to their benefits and risks in managing pain.
- Compare and contrast the following gabapentenoids with respect to their benefits and risks in managing pain: a) gabapentin (Neurontin); b) Horizant; c) Gralise; and, d) Lyrica.
- Describe the risks of combining opioids with: a) benzodiazepines; b) alcohol; c) gabapentenoids; and, d) cannabinoids.
- Describe the role of naloxone in preventing deaths from overdosages.
Gregory L. Holmquist, Pharm D.
Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacist Specialist, Palliative Care Strategies, Everett, Washington.
Dr. Holmquist has NO financial arrangements with any corporate organization that might have an interest in the subject being presented.
Zoom Meeting Technical Information
- This webcast will be conducted using Zoom (https://zoom.us)
- Please confirm that the device you will be using to view the Webcast meets the minimum technical requirements. We will not be able to issue refunds due to technical issues experienced due to a poor internet connection or your equipment not meeting the technical requirements.
- The webcast can be viewed on any PC, MAC or mobile device. We highly recommend that you perform an internet connection speed test before viewing the webcast. The following are the minimum required download speeds:
- 3.0 Mbps – recommended Internet speed for Standard Definition (480) streaming.
- 5.0 Mbps – recommended Internet speed for High Definition (1080) streaming.
- Please note that you must watch the webcast live in order to be eligible for credit.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation and receipt of payment.
- Several days before the conference you will receive an email with login details for the webcast.
- At the conclusion of the webinar you must complete a post test and evaluation to receive your credit.
- Credit will be reported to CPE Monitor, CE Broker or by emailed statements of credit depending on state licensure and profession.
Westgate Las Vegas Resort and Casino
3000 Paradise Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Hotel Reservations: Click here to reserve your room online or call 1-800-635-7711 and mention our group code, SGULJ0.
A block of rooms have been reserved for June 9-13, 2020. The discounted room rate will be available until May 10, 2020. Certain room types may be sold out as the conference date approaches.
- Premium Room – $89.00/night
- Reduced Resort Fee – $23.00/night, regularly $34.00/night
Check In Time: 3:00 PM
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM
The above guest room rates and fees do not include state and local taxes, currently at 13.3%, and are subject to change. Room deposit is refundable if reservation is canceled at least 3 days prior to scheduled arrival.
- McCarran International Airport (LAS) is located 3.5 miles from Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino.
- Taxi/Cab stands located outside of the airport.
- Area shuttle services Airline Shuttle, MWTravel Vegas and Bell Trans.
- National rental car agencies located at the airport, use this link for more information.
- Enjoy the convenience of the Las Vegas Monorail with a stop located at the Westgate Las Vegas.
About Las Vegas
From the bright lights of the Strip to the rugged desert, Las Vegas has something for everyone. Where else can you visit a National Park, ride a roller coaster, take in a show and enjoy world class dining all in one day? That’s Las Vegas!
Local Activities and Attractions