General Course Fee: $19
Opioid Crisis CME Credit
This program in its entirety provides 3 hours (0.3 CEU) of ACPE CPE home study credit, AMA Category 2 CME, and CNE pharmacology credit.
Course Expiration Date
This program, The Opioid Crisis: Safe Prescribing-Balancing the Benefits and Risks for Patients with Acute and Chronic Pain, was originally presented and recorded April 27, 2018 at a continuing education seminar for health professionals in Bonita Springs, FL.
At the conclusion of this session, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the current data on the use and abuse of opioids in the US.
- Assess patients accurately with pain for consideration of an opioid trial.
- Establish realistic goals for pain management and restoration of function.
- Initiate and titrate opioid treatment (IR and ER/LA) safely and judiciously, maximizing efficacy while minimizing risks.
- Monitor and re-evaluate treatment continuously; discontinue safely when appropriate.
- Counsel patients and caregivers about use, misuse, abuse, diversion and overdose.
- Educate patients about safe storage and disposal of opioids.
Pharmacy Technician Objectives:
1. Describe the current data on the use and abuse of opioids in the US.
2. Distinguish between use, misuse, abuse, and diversion.
3. Demonstrate safe storage and disposal of opioids.
C. Wayne Weart Pharm D, BCPS, FASHP, FAPhA
Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Outcome Sciences, Professor of Family Medicine, MUSC, Charleston, SC. Dr. Weart is a consultant for Select Health of South Carolina and a member of the Regional Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee for AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies.
- Register online by clicking here.
- Your emailed course confirmation will contain the pertinent information for completing this online learning course.
- Once registered, you may watch our self paced continuing education course on your computer or mobile device.
- Please use the links, included in your emailed confirmation, to download the course handout and complete the course post test and evaluation.
Requirements for Credit
For ACPE, ANCC or AMA Category 2 Credit, you must receive a score of 70% or greater on the multiple choice test and and complete the written course evaluation.
Please complete and test and evaluation online. ULS will receive notification of course completion, and will mail your statement of credit.*
*Pharmacists: Please ensure that we have your NABP# and date of birth on file. ACPE does not allow us to provide you with paper Statements of Credit. Should you need a paper statement of credit, you can access that information via CPE Monitor. All other professionals: An applicable paper Statement of Credit will be issued upon receipt of your post-conference paperwork.
Obtaining CE Credit
Once your course is completed and accreditation requirements have been met, ULS will receive notification of course completion, and email your statement of credit (physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, and non-US health professionals), report credit to CPE Monitor (pharmacists) and report credit to other organizations that you specify such as CE Broker. Please provide all necessary reporting information at the time of registration.
Accreditation/ Target Audience
This course provides three (3) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Osteopathic Association (AOA): This course provides three (3) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
Members of the College of Family Physicians of Canada CFPC : This course provides three (3) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA): This course provides three (3) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC): Continuing education hours approved by ACPE meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria. This course provides pharmacology/pharmacotherapeutics Category 1 Continuing Education Hours for certification renewal. The same hours submitted to renew certification may be submitted to a State Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
National Certification Corporation (NCC): Recognizes any Nursing, Medical, Health Care or Other For Profit or Not for Profit Education Provider. Please contact NCC regarding approval.
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Program (AANPCP): National Certification Program for Nurse Practitioners accepts ACPE credit.
University Learning Systems is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11409.
University Learning Systems (ULS), is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a Provider of continuing pharmacy education. All ULS courses carry ACPE credit with the designation for pharmacists (P) or pharmacist technicians (T). Online courses are recognized as home study courses by ACPE.
Title: TEEMwork Makes the Dream Work: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Best Patient Care Practices for Hepatitis C
UPN: 0741-0000-18-012-H01-P , 0741-0000-18-012-H01-T
Activity Type: Knowledge
CEU: 3 hours
Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) accepts courses accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
Other Health Professionals
Contact your respective board regarding approval.