General Course Fee: $99
Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic CME Credit
This program in its entirety provides 5 hours (0.5 CEU) of ACPE CPE home study credit, AMA Category 2 CME, and CNE pharmacology credit.
Course Expiration Date
This program, The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic: Abuse and Diversion of Opioids and Other Illicit Drugs, was originally presented and recorded December 6, 2019 at a continuing education seminar for health professionals in Las Vegas, NV.
At the conclusion of this session, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the extent of diversion occurring in the United States;
- List the most commonly diverted substances;
- Categorize the impact, especially the increase in overdose deaths associated with opioids, of diversion on society and on abusers;
- Compare and contrast the evidence for and against the medical use of all substances discussed;
- Distinguish the abuse & addiction potential of all substances discussed;
- List the most common adverse effects associated with the diverted substances;
- List the sources of diversion;
- Discuss the reasons for the increase in use of diverted substances especially in young people.
Professor and Dean, College of Pharmacy, Marshall B. Ketchum University, Fullerton, CA. Dr. Fisher has NO financial arrangements with any corporate organization that might have an interest in the subject being presented.
- Register online by clicking here.
- Your emailed course confirmation will contain the pertinent information for completing this online learning course.
- Once registered, you may watch our self paced continuing education course on your computer or mobile device.
- Please use the links, included in your emailed confirmation, to download the course handout and complete the course post test and evaluation.
Requirements for Credit
For ACPE, ANCC or AMA Category 2 Credit, you must receive a score of 70% or greater on the multiple choice test and and complete the written course evaluation.
Please complete and test and evaluation online. ULS will receive notification of course completion, and will mail your statement of credit.*
*Pharmacists: Please ensure that we have your NABP# and date of birth on file. ACPE does not allow us to provide you with paper Statements of Credit. Should you need a paper statement of credit, you can access that information via CPE Monitor. All other professionals: An applicable paper Statement of Credit will be issued upon receipt of your post-conference paperwork.
Obtaining CE Credit
Once your course is completed and accreditation requirements have been met, ULS will receive notification of course completion, and email your statement of credit (physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, and non-US health professionals), report credit to CPE Monitor (pharmacists) and report credit to other organizations that you specify such as CE Broker. Please provide all necessary reporting information at the time of registration.
Accreditation/ Target Audience
This course provides three (5) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Osteopathic Association (AOA): This course provides five (5) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
Members of the College of Family Physicians of Canada CFPC : This course provides five (5) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA): This course provides five (5) hours of AMA Category 2 credit.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC): Continuing education hours approved by ACPE meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria. This course provides pharmacology/pharmacotherapeutics Category 1 Continuing Education Hours for certification renewal. The same hours submitted to renew certification may be submitted to a State Board of Nursing for re-licensure.
National Certification Corporation (NCC): Recognizes any Nursing, Medical, Health Care or Other For Profit or Not for Profit Education Provider. Please contact NCC regarding approval.
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Program (AANPCP): National Certification Program for Nurse Practitioners accepts ACPE credit.
University Learning Systems is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 11409.
University Learning Systems (ULS), is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a Provider of continuing pharmacy education. All ULS courses carry ACPE credit with the designation for pharmacists (P). Online courses are recognized as home study courses by ACPE.
Title: The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic: Abuse and Diversion of Opioids and Other Illicit Drugs
Activity Type: Application
CEU: 5 hours
Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) accepts courses accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
Other Health Professionals
Contact your respective board regarding approval.